Thursday, July 23, 2009

Appreciating new ways

This is my first attempt to blog. My friend at work helped me get started. She literally had to walk me through each step.
First she told me to set up an email account with gmail. No problem, right? This requires creating a username and password (which I have to write down so as not to get confused with other username and passwords).
Next I need a url address...and then a post name (I think)...and then something else, and something else...it's all a little confusing to me. Right now my page is just a basic one, because I am learning how to download a cutesy one. All in good time.
I was telling my friend that even though setting up a blog is confusing, the process of writing is so much easier than it used to be.
For example, in my type class in Jr. High, we would insert a piece of paper and scroll it around the roller of a typewriter. To center the title on the page, it required counting the number of spaces or letters in the title, subtracting that from the number of spaces horizontally on the page, and then backspacing from the center to get to the right spot to begin typing. When a mistake was made, I had to roll the paper up, use a special typing eraser to erase the ink off, brush the eraser crumbs away, and start over, rolling the paper back in place. Fun times.
I really appreciate being able to backspace, delete, and spell check.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! Post #1! And yeah, I'm glad typing isn't like that anymore. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad your friend helped you get started! I'm looking forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete